Collaboration is an important success factor for any organization. In fact, according to Yuval Noah Harari (author of the bestseller Sapiens), the capacity to cooperate in large numbers is the main reason why the human species has become so successful! Still, smooth collaboration between colleagues isn’t necessarily a given.
Problems and challenges facing teams
Team collaboration can be quite a challenge. Especially when an assignment or project hasn’t been going the way you’d like it to. Meetings and meetups bear little fruit to the point where you get stuck. The result: irritation, frustration and demotivation.
In order to eliminate the problems above, it is important that team members are aware of the problems and challenges associated with collaboration.
- Lack of a clear dot on the horizon. This tends to cause confusion about the task distribution and time schedule.
- For good collaboration to be established, it is important that everyone considers themselves a worthy group or team member. Compare it to someone who just joined a sports team: this person wants to prove themselves and gain popularity among their team members as quickly as possible. The same applies to professional collaboration: each team member must be open to the strengths of their colleagues and promote mutual acceptance. In practice, this tends to be a challenging process.
- An unclear distribution of tasks and roles, giving rise to misunderstandings about who is supposed to do what.
- Sloppy communication. This problem is often the result of poor listening or an imbalance between introverted and dominant characters who like to take the spotlight.
- The absence of or failure to adhere to sound and clear agreements. It is important that each team member musters the discipline to honor agreements and execute their portion of the work carefully and competently.
- A leader whose leadership style does not match the team. The result is that you lose control of the collaboration process and risk the resistance of unhappy employees.
How to shape good collaboration? Improving and streamlining collaboration usually holds the key to success. But it is easier said than done. Raising your collaboration game takes more than scribbling down a plan. – Read more
Learn More About AG5